Child support is a confusing and difficult process. Your child deserves support, and you need an attorney who is willing to fight for you and your family. The attorneys at Bushway & Waystack can help you receive the payment your child deserves or reduce your payment if you are unable to pay it.
Call us today for a child support consultation: 478.621.4995.
The Child Support Process
In Georgia, the child support process involves several steps, and an attorney can make navigating those steps easier. Your lawyer should explain each step of the process and make sure you and your child are treated fairly. Some of the steps an attorney can help you with include:
- Locating the other parent: If you don’t know where the other parent lives, the first step is to find him or her. Your attorney will work with the proper agencies, and hopefully the other parent will be found.
- Establishing paternity: In order to receive child support, it must be clear who the child’s father is. Your attorney will help you understand this process and the Paternity Affidavit you must sign.
- Determining the amount that should be paid: The court considers several factors when determining the amount of child support that one parent should pay another:
- Income of each parent
- Cost of child care
- Cost of health insurance
- Number of dependent children
- Amount of time each parent spends with the child
Your lawyer will fight for the compensation you and your family deserve.
- Filing and enforcing a support order: Once the payment amount is determined, the court will file a support order. The other parent must abide by this order, and if he or she doesn’t, your attorney will help you get the payment you need.
- Reviewing the order: after a certain amount of time, the court can review your child support order. If you cannot afford to keep up with payments, your lawyer can work to reduce your child support amount. Conversely, if you need more support for your child, your lawyer can fight for your rights.
Get the Help You Need
For help going through the complicated child support process, contact the attorneys at Bushway & Waystack today for a consultation.